Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Keeping motivated when you start to feel better...

14 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Viking,

I am glad to hear you are doing so great.  I can hear the warmth in what you write.  Enjoy this time.  

It is not uncommon to notice results very soon into the program but you are right, you get the best results if you complete the whole program.  That being said, it sounds like you are enjoyingspending time with your family and yourself. Although completing the program is important spending time doing things that give you a well rounded life is important too. 

There are many ways to get motivated; breaking the program down to do a few pages a day, rewards, etc. but you need to be ready to move forward.  What do you want Viking? Ideally, how much or how little work on the program right now is manageable for you?  Before we decide on how to motivate let's decide what you really want.   

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey viking,

I'm experiencing a bit of the same thing, but it's more with the smoking center, and not so much here.

I'm stuck on session 3, and can't seem to move on from there.  I feel better, am working like crazy, dealing with my life again which is what I wanted.......

Like Goofy, I have made this part of my daily routine.  I wish this site was a little more active really.  So in all selfishness, I hope you keep posting because you have great contributions that could help others.  I think this site could really take off if those of us that are getting better can contribute.

I'm glad you're doing well, and you are wise to realize that depression and it's maintenance is a lot like taking antibiotics.  You have to keep going.  Maybe if you realized you are helping others????  Here it is.  When feeling good, help others.  It will come back to you 10,000 fold.  :) 

Does that help?
deb
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Viking195

I make this a part of my daily routine.  I am able to do that as my son is grown and don't have as many immediate obligations that you do.  However, you could set a time every other day, every week, etc. And designate this time to maintaining what you've found.  I'm on Session 9 and I've gotten stuck now and along the way and went back re-worked some things, discovered things I needed to process through a particular session.  I share this information with my therapist on a regular basis.  I share my homework everytime we meet and how I am progressing (this holds me somewhat accountable).  He is not a CBT certified therapist.  However, he, like most, are familiar with the underlying theory. 
I take this site as I do my daily medication. 

Having said that, I need it that often, what are your needs?  How much time can you allow to maintain what you've learned/gained?  The program is designed or appears to be designed to work in 9 one week sessions (I guess I am slow, lol, I've been working on it lots, lots, lots longer than that).  So if you can designate that time to do it, I think you'll find it easier to maintain and have even more tools as an emergency kit that I hope you will NEVER need.

Congratulations and again, thanks for posting.  I look forward to hearing what more life brings you way as you discover and re-discover things around you. 

I am so happy to hear that you are doing better and are re-exploring the world around you, enjoying your wife and kids! That is so awesome!  And I appreciate hearing other posts about successes.  An inspiration!
14 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm finding, much to my amazement, that I have begun to feel better after having been in the program for just a few weeks  (as well as having been taking counseling one-on-one with a local therapist.).  I'm enjoying the re-awakening world of springtime and feeling a resonance in myself with that re-awakening that I haven't felt in an exceptionally long time.

While it's a wonderful feeling, and I hope each and every one of you can experience it, I have discovered a dilemma...  I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself to come back here and do my next week's session.  I know, intellectually, it's like antibiotics, you need to run the full course to be effective, but, I can't seem to motivate myself to find time to come back and read the next session - let alone do my homework for the week I'm on, reliably and on a daily basis., because I'm too focused on re-discovering the world around me.  Spending time with my kids, with myself, with my wife - living again seems to have taken up my free time.

Any suggestions on how to stay focused when feeling good...?

Reading this thread: