Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Did you know... some of the common symptoms of depression?

16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Perth, I was talking about your depression and all the symptoms and negative thoughts that unfortunately accompany. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Danielle, Thank you very much for encouraging. But what do you mean when you say: "One of the best ways to tackle this problem is to fix the cause" ? How do I find out what's the cause?? Is that discussed in any of the sessions? Thank you so much!
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Lots on interesting discussion going on here today! Perth, As you can see you're not alone. You are indeed on point as MANY individuals feel isolated from others due to their depression. Keep working at it though! One of the best ways to tackle this problem is to fix the cause :) Keep persevering! Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder, too, how much others see of my depression. My sister was surprised when I finally talked to her about my depression. We don't see each other very often, but she said that I always seem so positive and together :confuse: I haven't talked to my daughters about it because I don't want them to worry, but I'm sure that when they are older and we look back at these years they'll tell me they knew. Hopefully I'll be over it by then!
wowww. that sounds interesting ... you say, your wife takes notice of your isolation?? So your environment can probably "see" the glass-wall and can't go through either?? wowww - this is new to me as I always wanted to function in a way that people around me shouldn't see any difference in me. They shouldn't get it I'm depressive.
16 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Perth, My wife has said that when I'm depressed it's like I'm in another room, that I'm, in a sense, absent. Depression is very isolating, as you say. It can also be very isolating for those around us.
16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think I have all these symptoms right now. My eyes are swollen and I'm just trying to make it through the day. I hate this feeling. It just seems no one cares.
Hi Brenna, Thanks for listing all the symptoms .. I think, one is probably missing (at least in my case I can say) It is "feeling desparetaly LONELY" it is this kind of feeling isolated from the rest of the world ... everybody seems to enjoy life but not you. you want to try and change it, so you want to go and talk to people, but you're not able even if you're naturally a social type. There is a high and slippery wall between you and others made of toned glass where you can look through and see them but they can't see through and see you. You cry but it's a soundless cry, nobody can hear and take notice of your crying. You can not reach out your hands to them, only observe from the other side of the wall how lucky they feel and are. This is my perception of depression. Can be different in others. But in my case it belongs to the main issue with depression. Feeling extremely lonely. OK, I've made some progress already, but it still appears from time to time. At least there are times the wall seems not to be there. And I'm optimistic. When you try properly to fight against this feelings you can win. Since doing 'not much' will result in 'not much'. This is a very new detection for me. As I 've always been waiting for something and hoping for any good changes in life but they didn't come. Until I realized, it's primarily me who can change my situation and it will change when I work for it - but properly. Thank to this CBT program I see some hope for doing it right the first time.
16 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Caimansbetty, Thanks for the analogy! That's a very interesting way to think of depression. Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can attest to the fact that common symptoms of depression are often variable, and very often difficult to differentiate from other closely related disorders. There are a number of crossover symptoms that are common to several psychological illnesses, which sometimes makes targeted treatment difficult, and very much a process itself. I am being treated for bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. In the past my treatment focussed on depression only because, like many with bipolar, my diagnosis came late in the game. With medication, my bipolar is under control, but I was still experiencing anxiety (despite taking anti-anxiety medication) and particularly sleep disruption. I woke often during the night, and woke early, long before the alarm went off. It was only after a recent visit with my physician that it became clear that, as he put it, my depression was beginning to "break through" again in the form of one common symptom--early waking. I had assumed that being treated for bipolar would take care of everything, but apparently that is not necessarily the case. In fact, I read on this site that bipolar medication often has to be supplemented with anti-depressants. In short, I've learned that depression works like a cafeteria--you never know what will be served up that day!

Reading this thread: