Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

link between being ill and feeling depressed?

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rosie

I just read your post and am glad to find that you are feeling better.  I always believed that feeling ill affects my depression level.  It's harder to battle two things that make you feel bad.  I also think that when I am really down I also feel sick, but this is usually not flu or cold symptoms, it's usually headaches or body aches.  I really expect to feel more depressed when I am ill and tend to push myself more to compensate.  Conversely I think I'm worse about those perceived illnesses I attribute to depression.  They are worse for me because they are an added frustration, I know my depression is causing it and not a chance virus I caught.  I feel like I should be able to stop it.  Anyway, whatever caused you to feel bad I am glad to hear that you are better now.  Perhaps now that you are aware of the increased depression when you feel bad you will be able to challenge it better next time.

Hi Faryal, I read your comment that depressed people tend to have immunosuppression issues.  I'd like to know more about that study.  I am not immunocompromised and find my tendancies to be as above.  I also know alot of immunosuppressed people, but haven't seen a depression link to their immunosuppression.  Can you give me a little more information?  Perhaps I just never thought about it in those terms.  Thanks.
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to hear that you are starting to feel better Rosie

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Rosie,

Glad to hear you are starting to feel better! Can't wait to see the pics!
15 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys

Thanks for all the positive comments. I am starting to feel better after forcing myself to rest and just accept it. I was so completely out of my comfort zone that coming back and trying to get into routine is a bit of a challenge. Sorry Rose306, no elephants but I did see a real snake charmer! I will post the pics soon.

Thanks again for the support
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rosie glad you are back, sorry you feel so down.  I know I've had a couple of "old" health issues rear their ugly head during very stressful times.  And I agree with the comments below about stress, lack of routine (schedule) and "coming home from a vacation" can trigger depression.

I hope in spite of how you are feeling now that you had a wonderful time while on vacation and enjoyed seeing new things.  I would also like to see pics and it doesn't matter what they are of, just pics of things I've not got to see!!!!!

15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey rosie, sorry you are feeling so bad, so far i have been spared this bug that many of you seem to have. lysol!! love the stuff. don't think a vacation, no matter how wonderful, is a "fix" for depression. you carry your problems with you no matter where you go, like an invisible thread. when you're sick your defenses are down and your depression is up. hang in there rosie, still waiting to see some exotic pictures - any elephants? they are so beautiful!
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi rosie.
welcome back.

For the longest time I was afraid of leaving for a vacation and even lied to my husband about not getting the same days as him.  I was afraid of leaving my life behind and all of it would explode with me controling everything every moment of every day.  I was afraid of leaving and of getting lost and hurt far from my comfort zone.  So watching you go far away is watching a courageous person.

You probably had way too much fun !!!  

seriously, you probably had a great trip but stress is stress, good and bad.  So being sensitive to it only has you in a blue period that is the disappointment of returning to reality.  You were exhausted to start with so returning to germ heaven ... well the little fellas looked at you as "fresh-meat".   It is entirely too normal to return to our old habits when we are  absolutely miserable!  but challenge , challenge , challenge!!!

Rosie
of course you are sad winter is coming and you have just come back from a wonderful trip.  So the transition from the nice days of summer to the blah of winter is a bit harder.  But winter is not that bad Right? (I am not the right person to ask! I hate the cold). 
THe things of day to day life have probably piled up a bit! and are a bit big, and with your high level of exhaustion it is normal to be discouraged and frustrated.  Let your body deal with things one at a time!  Right?  even if you wanted to you could not rush the cold out like poor relatives that overstayed their welcome   So rest, nutrition, and acceptance. 
15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Rosie,

Sorry to hear you are sick. Get well soon! As for feeling worse when sick, I get that too. I find myself being more tired and negative and sad when I am sick. So just take care of yourself and remember that this too shall pass!

And as for feeling like running away or putting life on pause, I sure here you on that one! But we will both hang in there and get better! You can do this! But first, rest and drink lots of fluids!
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Rosie,

You raise an interesting question and there is increasing evidence supporting the link between being sick and feeling depressed.

Depressed individuals tend to have immune systems that do not function optimally. These alterations in the immune system can trigger chemical changes in the brain that result in depression, anxiety and impaired memory.

Many antidepressants can have unpleasant side effects which are toxic to the immune system. A distressed immune system can thus cause chemical imbalances that keep the brain from functioning normally.

Ensure that you are eating well and nourishing your immune system. Hopefully once your body is healed, you will feel more like your self with a more positive outlook on life and your future.

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I have been sick for the last week or so and I feel miserable about life in general. I have been doing quite well for a while now but the past few days have been rough. I think part of the reason is that when I was at my worst a while ago, I also felt this feeling of exhaustion. Maybe I am confusing just being sick with being depressed. I just feel sad about everything and have burst out crying over the smallest things. I guess part of me thought that doing this India trip would help fix me. It was just a bit of a let-down to get back and find all my problems waiting for me. My life really is not that bad at the moment but sometimes I feel like just running away from it all. Sometimes I could just pause the world while I try and figure out where my life is going. I feel confused and sad. Maybe the flu virus stops anti-depressants from working properly because I feel like I am being sucked into my old ways of thinking......

Reading this thread: