Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Acclimate or Act?

7 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi WorldsOkayest,

This is a tough question - as it is always safe to have a doctor assess your symptoms first. However, if you have already had a few false alarms then it might be helpful to start paying attention to your panic symptoms and comparing them with heart attack symptoms. Also, it is important to consider that when we are panicking we are also less likely to think rationally so it may be harder for us to logically assess our symptoms. Trying to calm our physical symptoms with breathing exercises, grounding or PMR might be a good indicator as well. If you are able to calm yourself down and your symptoms lesson then that would indicate it is likely not a heart attack. I also suggest having a handy list of your panic symptoms vs. heart attack symptoms close by so you can evaluate even if you are in a state of panic. I suggest creating your own list but here is one that I just googled that you might find useful.

HEART ATTACK

• Escalating chest pain reaching maximum severity after a few minutes
  • Constant pain, pressure, fullness or aching
  • Pain in the substernal or left chest area
  • Pain or discomfort that travels or radiates from the chest to other areas, such as one or both arms, abdomen, back, shoulders, neck, throat or jaw
  • Pain that is brought on by exertion (although unstable angina may bring about pain without exertion)
  • In 40% of heart attacks, there are NO chest pain symptoms at all

PANIC ATTACK

• Sharp or stabbing chest pain
  • Chest pain that is fleeting
  • Pain that is localized to one small area
  • Pain that usually occurs at rest
  • Pain that accompanies anxiety
  • Pain that is relieved or worsened when you change positions
  • Pain that can be reproduced or worsened by pressing over the area of pain

Be sure to let us know what you discover.

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As a person with panic disorder,  experiencing lovely regularly scheduled "heart attacks", how do I tell the difference? When every time feels like the real deal, when is the ER a necessity and not just a punch card event? Especially considering there's no free visit perk after the tenth check in.

Reading this thread: