Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Expressing Yourself Creatively (cont)

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Staying creative, interesting I had to think on this one..I like to look at magazines and books to get ideas for projects..
I subscript to two quilting magazines. I just received the latest one that I subscribed too it included a dvd with all the back issues for last year with it..I just started looking the dvd last night and learned lot of tips and techniques for projects plus got a preview of the latest fabrics and free patterns..I also like gardening books..The Square foot Gardener being my favorite for small scale gardening. I like to walk at the zoo for inspiration..they have beautiful botanical gardens. The garden dept at any home improvement store is always a favorite. and quilt shows are a great place to get ideas and find the latest gadgets..Oh and Barnes and Noble ,lots of inspiration there, with books on every topic from hobbies and cooking to healthy living..

Red..

10 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

I love creativity threads :-)  You can still be creative whether you are an Artist or not.  As you've said, you can create things or surround yourself with beautiful things.  I love vision or dream boards (ie. like the cork board mentioned).  It doesn't mean that it's a list of things you have to accomplish.  I love dogs and I put them on my dream board.  I seem to find cuter and cuter pictures of designer dogs (two breeds combined) like Chi Pom's, Shih Poo's, etc.  With my ceramic dog collection, I had a piece I debated about getting or not - it was ugly.  But, I said, what the heck, I'll take the ugly dog :-) Trying new things and branching out is fun too, because it's new and different.  I'm leaning Chinese calligraphy.  I know I'm not going to Master Mandarin, in spoken word or in writing characters (words), but I'm enjoying it and that's all that matters. The great thing is there is always something new to try.  If you Google hobby lists, there are, literally, hundreds of ideas if you need suggestions.  I'm also drawing again and bought a new sketch book.  It's good to revisit past creative pastimes you've done before, as well.  There are a lot of members who garden and that's a great way to express creativity.  From picking the beautiful plants to placing them in the spot of your choice, to watching them grow and bloom.  You can organize your box of photographs by scrap booking and putting them into albums.  What do other members enjoy doing?

Shari
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My whole life is creative from making a sandwich to a flower bed. It doesn't take much more work to be creative. And who cares if it doesn't turn out, except for the sandwich. It is still fun.

Davit
10 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Recently, we’ve discussed expressing yourself creatively as an outlet for emotion. Often times, many buy into the idea that being creative involves talent. It doesn’t. Many famous pieces of artwork or paintings were considered “odd” or “ugly” when first introduced. You also are not required to display your art for scrutiny. Here are a few tips to help you get started on expressing yourself creatively:

• Get inspired! Inspiration often comes from beauty. Take yourself to the museum or an art gallery. Browse pictures online, look at your own. Go to a park, whatever works best for you.
  • Foster creativity by changing your space. Pick a spot in your home and fill it with things that inspire. It can be as simple as using a cork board to pin pictures cut out of magazines or adding a few plants.
  • Keep practicing! Even if all you can draw is a stick figure, keep practicing perfecting your stick figure. Also go out of your comfort zone and experiment with shapes, materials and other. Take a class or head to an arts centre. 
  • Make it part of your routine. You can’t yield great results if you don’t invest the time. Set aside some time once a day, a week or a month to express yourself creatively.

How do you keep creative?

Reading this thread: