Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

CBT Day €“ Anger, Part II

16 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't deal very well with my anger. If I'm angry with someone I go so totally silent and then when I am alone I let it all go, in the form of a big, long cry. It's the only way I know how :(
16 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've heard that one way to dissipate anger is to participate in an "impact" sport. Banging a tennis ball against a wall, or using your hand as the raquet as in handball. Perhaps kicking a soccer ball against a wall might be similar. I was balled up in anxiety over the last week and played handball with a soft ball against a sturdy wall for a few minutes, if only to get the energy and my body moving. It has been suggested to write angry letters, but when I tried that one time found I couldn't manage without ripping the page. Instead I spoke my angry words into a recording device and again used physical movement as I listened back to it to release all the anger.
16 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't think I deal horribly with anger but I don't think I do as well as I would like to. As such I am in no position to share strategies haha. But I would love to hear what you all have to say :) -Diva
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Anger can be suppressed, and then converted or redirected. This happens when you hold in your anger, stop thinking about it, and focus on something positive. The aim is to inhibit or suppress your anger and convert it into more constructive behavior. The danger in this type of response is that if it isn't allowed outward expression, your anger can turn inward€”on yourself. Anger turned inward may cause hypertension, high blood pressure, or depression. Chances are good that if you do have a problem with anger, you already know it. If you find yourself acting in ways that seem out of control and frightening, you might need help finding better ways to deal with this emotion. Why Are Some People Angrier Than Others? People who are easily angered generally have what some psychologists call a low tolerance for frustration, meaning simply that they feel that they should not have to be subjected to frustration, inconvenience, or annoyance. They can't take things in stride, and they're particularly infuriated if the situation seems somehow unjust: for example, being corrected for a minor mistake. What makes these people this way? A number of things. One cause may be genetic or physiological: There is evidence that some children are born irritable, touchy, and easily angered, and that these signs are present from a very early age. Another may be sociocultural. Anger is often regarded as negative; we're taught that it's all right to express anxiety, depression, or other emotions but not to express anger. As a result, we don't learn how to handle it or channel it constructively. Research has also found that family background plays a role. Typically, people who are easily angered come from families that are disruptive, chaotic, and not skilled at emotional communications. In your quest to track your anger this week, you may now be wondering how to challenge it. It is often said that we are the only person we can control. This is true of anger. Before delving into the skills of assertive communication, anger management must begin with you managing your emotional state. How you choose to do so is entirely up to you but here are a few suggestions to help keep anger at bay: Relaxation Simple relaxation tools, such as deep breathing and relaxing imagery, can help calm down angry feelings. There are books and courses that can teach you relaxation techniques, and once you learn the techniques, you can call upon them in any situation. If you are involved in a relationship where both partners are hot-tempered, it might be a good idea for both of you to learn these techniques. Some simple steps you can try: Breathe deeply, from your diaphragm; breathing from your chest won't relax you. Picture your breath coming up from your "gut." Slowly repeat a calm word or phrase such as "relax," "take it easy." Repeat it to yourself while breathing deeply. Use imagery; visualize a relaxing experience, from either your memory or your imagination. Non strenuous, slow yoga-like exercises can relax your muscles and make you feel much calmer. Practice these techniques daily. Learn to use them automatically when you're in a tense situation. We now invite members to ask questions or share their most effective coping strategy for anger! See you again on Sunday! Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: