Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Smoking?

13 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Drewwypoo
I'm in the process of quitting as well. I've been smoking for about 8 years now, and at least with me there is absolutely a connection between smoking and my anxiety level/number of panic attacks. The more I smoke, the more anxious/panicky I feel, not vice-versa. I decided to quit almost a week ago after my panic attacks were getting completely out of control, and really, it hasn't been too bad. I was already feeling pretty horrible so I really didn't notice much of a difference as far as withdrawls. I'm already seeing a huge difference, I feel much more calm, and seeing the benefits is making it so much easier to stick to. I'm doing the same as KKDJJ, down to one puff a day, and am considering stopping completely in the next few days. Best of luck to you, it is SO worth it to quit!!!
13 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah i was kind of hoping my anxiety would ease after a while of not smoking, I did quit for 9 months cold turkey and then started again about 9 months ago and if i remember i felt loads better mentally and phsyically when i had quit, just i remember it being quite difficult then and then i didnt have much anxiety at all, but now i have then its even gonna be harder, but i suppose if its only a month or so of withdrawal in exchange for feeling a bit less anxious and the extra health benefits then i may just give it a go.

Thanks, Drew
13 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello drewwypoo!!

I have been a smoker for 8 years now.. a couple of years occasional, and the rest of the years are heavy smoking.
And 3 and a half months ago... something occured to me...
I had to quit. Why? Yet alone it is expensive, but as well as ruining my life (not just physically and mentally).
I have realized that smoking cigarettes have not only damaged me physically, but also mentally. It was my only sense of escape and reliance in coping all the stress. Yes, I am maxed out... extremely stressed out and extremely tired of everything.
And after quitting smoking (cold turkey)... I FEEL GREAT!! I must say, it was hard for me to quit considering that I had a lot of withdrawls. Withdrawls such as palpitation (which I believe is my body craving for nicotine). For two weeks, I had it and it was pushing me to go back to my cigarettes and just satisfy my body so I can stop palpitation, which would normally lead to my panic attacks/panic disorder. I constantly worried about the side effects that I'm putting myself through just to quit smoking...

And I must say... the side effects were easier to handle after a couple of weeks.. as long as you have a strong positive mentality, then you will dooo awesome just as I did and still am :) It is okay to have a cheat smoke (not a whole cigarette by a puff) because it will take you step by step to quitting (which is what I did). For a month, I trained myself to take a puff and throw the cigarette... and one day, i just woke up and threw my cigarettes. Why? Because it wasn't doing anything good for me. My panic attacks were still there and it was hard for me to breathe because of all that paranoid thoughts and other negative things. So I quit quit quit.

Though it was hard in the begining, it gets soo much better. And hoenstly... since 3 and a half months ago... I havent had a full blown panic attack. Everytime I'm about to feel one, I just take deep breaths (which I found sooooo much easier) and I would be okayyyy. In fact, sometimes I get a symptom of a panic attack without realizing it. One time I was just sitting down and I started shaking and my heart was beating soo fast... but in my head, i wasn't feeling scared... so i just took a couple of breaths and it went away. It came with the positive thought... which I found to be stronger after quitting.

Let me know if you need any help in quitting!!
But overall, it helps to quit... and I am not exaggerating when I say that IT HELPS A LOT A LOT EXTREMELY A LOT TO QUIT. Take it from me!! :)
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Drew,

Very good question.  Smoking increases the heart rate and lowers oxygen levels in the body.  If you look at it this way smoking certainly can make panic worse.  There is some research that shows smoking and panic attacked can be correlated.

However, I have also read that the anticipatory anxiety of quitting and the anxiety around withdrawal may be difficult.  You have to also consider that a lot of smokers use cigarettes as a coping mechanism.  For example, when stressed they may step outside and take a few deep inhales of a cigarette.  Taking a break for deep breathing would be a healthy alternative coping mechanism to smoking but many smokers do not realize they need to find alternative coping mechanisms after they quit.  Remember, quitting smoking is about breaking a physical addiction but it is also about breaking and reshaping a behavioural addiction.

If you feel you need extra help for anxiety while quitting talk to your doctor.  But know that quitting in all cases is the healthier choice.  Check out our sister site the Stop Smoking Center (www.stopsmokingcenter.net) for a great program and support group!

Let us know what you decide to do!

Ashley 

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

ahahaha - great idea!  Hope you go for it Drew.  You'll be healthier.  Good luck.  Smoking is sooo expensive anyway and there aren't too many places left where you can smoke.  It's socially taboo these days.      If you save the money you spend on cig. you could buy yourself something special. (?)

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Drew

Smoking is an addiction so of course it will add to the load and the average person is iritable for seven to ten days. So why not, I meen if you already feel lousy. But yes it will make the anxiety worse for a while but the benefits, I think make it worth while. You can always go beat the hell out of your drums every time you want a smoke.

Here for you.
Davit.
13 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey i was just wondering if anyone had quit smoking while having either GAD or panic disorder. Is it a good idea to quit while your anxiety is already quite bad and does quitting exacerbate the anxiety or does your anxiety get better after quitting?

Smoking can cause anxiety but also quitting smoking can cause anxiety. I am just hoping that if i quit my anxiety may be easier to handle or be diminshed.

Thanks, Drew

Reading this thread: