Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Weaving postive dreams - is it possible?

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rohit

Survival skills are all negative by necessity but for the most part no longer necessary. But you are right we do tend to think negative especially in high stress situations. Something you don't notice though is the increased brain activity that negative sets off. To be sure in a negative situation the brain checks associated memory. This associated memory says, this is what happened in other situations. Therefore if associated memory is positive then the original thought will change to that too because it will seem appropriate to change. In effect shortening anxious moments till they no longer register or at least don't stimulate others. But if associated memory is negative the original thought will stay negative. It can even change a positive thought to negative. 

Davit
10 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
The exercise u suggested is good for build of positiveness.The automatic reaction of mind is to think of negative.For every negative statement there occurs a positive statement which is a fact.The practice should be such that positiveness should flow automatically.This is a difficult task yet achievable.My negative thought replacement is just 30% at present.
By regular positive practices it can be increased to a considerable extent,I believe.

rohit131
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And why would it not be? What else are they than the replaying of memories and you have billions of memories to choose from. What you choose depends on what is important and how important it is is attitude. 

Pick a quiet half hour and think about nothing but a pleasant time from your child hood, it has to be far enough back that today can't influence it. For that half hour you want nothing but good thoughts. If you keep getting bad thoughts then forget about the rest of this exercise. If you have had a half hour of pleasant thoughts then think the next half hour about things that could go wrong. If you can do that then think a bad thought and change it. What this does is prove that you have more than one thought with each situation and you have choice. If you look close you will see you have lots of choices for each situation. If you can't do this then you have too negative of an attitude to access positive thoughts and you have to fix it first.

Davit
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder if my last night, which was blended with attempting to solve a home project, could reflect a possibility - that we can weave our dreams?

I went in and out of dreams designing something for the home, where there was a water leak, and found it restful, to my surprise.

Instead of worry, it became constructive concern

I wonder if others have had a similar experience sleeping and dreaming about something pleasant?

Reading this thread: