Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Does it matter?

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
Inertia is silent undermining force.  I'm finding the small change of a change in routine, whereby I couldn't go to the gym, and switched to a new chiropractor's exercises for my back, is affecting me.  What's also strange is the unseasonably mild temperatures outside.

"the only person who looks forward to change is a baby in a wet diaper" might be relevant now.  Feel low is like driving through a fog.  I just turn the high beams on, and proceed with caution.  I've done it in the past, and can do it now.

Thanks
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

You have already received some great advice. I only have a few things to add...

Sometimes regular exercise can really help to get unstuck - also knowing what's holding you back. Remember the reasons we procrastinate are not due to external factors but internal factors.

Here are a  few questions to get you thinking:

What's making you stuck?

When you have been stuck before how did you get out of it?

What would you tell a friend who was stuck?

How can you take one step forward today?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

I use to have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).  The gray sky during winter isn't conducive to a happy mood.  I found what's different this year is that I just look forward to doing  a couple of things that I enjoy each day, instead of thinking about the whole entire winter.  So, I'll wake up and say, "What am I going to do today for fun?"  Sometimes I'll go to one coffee shop and get a decaf and a bagel, another time I'll go to another coffee shop, or I'll find a knitting pattern that I can finish in an afternoon or a day, so I can see the results, or go to a book store or a craft store, take a walk, research on the internet or read a book.  SAD is a physical condition and they do have a special type of light wall that you sit in front of for 30 minutes a day and it's suppose to replace the sunshine and improve your mood.  If you Google search Seasonal Affective Disorder, they may have many more ideas and tips besides the light wall.  It would be fun to research.

Shari
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

Winter starts early here so it is half over now. I have a mental list of things to do, some of which won't get done. I just get up every day and do something even if it isn't on the list. It doesn't matter, I have nothing to prove to anyone, not even me it seems. I'm in pursuit of as much happiness as I can get with limited resources and a limited health. Obviously I get some depressing days when I can't get started in any specific direction. Those days I do something mindless like cleaning my shop or splitting firewood. The last two days I sat in front of my lathe sanding a cake stand. Mindless alright but it was something also that needed doing. Tomorrow I will pick up some oil for it and next time I can't get mobile I'll sit in front of the lathe oiling and polishing it. In the mean time I have to get my act together and make some room to work. Sunny wants to finish the cupboards. At some point I need to clean the driveway too. And right now I'm making bread again. I can do that and type also. I have a project I'm itching to get at but need to wait for a router bit I ordered to come in first. Maybe I'm too busy to get too indecisive. Maybe I'm afraid I will die before I get it all done. And I won't because things keep getting added on. But I find this year I'm getting things done even if some were due two years ago, like a new weeding bench. I do narrow raised beds and use a bench on skids to straddle the rows so I can sit to weed. My old one fell apart. I made a new one out of cedar that I've been moving from point to point in my shop. Three birds with one stone, a bench, some fire wood scraps and the boards out of the way. Just two years late getting it done. My neighbour is the only indecisive person I know. But he is type A and a millionaire at thirty. No thank you, I'll stick with being indecisive and poor. To each his own form of happiness.

Davit. 

Ps. I stole the pattern for the trivet off the internet. I've had the scroll saw for years and never used it before.
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
With it being winter, I'm finding I'm indecisive, during that time when I wish to figure out what to do with myself for the winter, and feel stuck.

I remember one doc calling it anhedonia, as though I don't have feeling.

Any suggestions on breaking out of this

Reading this thread: