Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

After 12 years, the Panic attacks are back

11 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gabriel Castro,
Almost same has happened to me.Due to panic attacks & feel of worthlessness I left my job 2 months back.I am 32,married & have two kids.At this age leaving job due to panic attack & anxiety is like a big blow on me.But then we have to live our life & more to think on pupils who are dependent on us.Life take exams and when we pass there exist another exam in our way.We have to continue giving exams & exams.There is no option but to PASS the exam.Failures are not accepted in any manner.
So dear,this is a tough time for you.Struggle until you find some concrete.This site will help you to explore & understand yourself in a better manner.I m in regular touch with Shari,Davit,sunny and many others.At this stage when I myself struggling hard can only say that you will definitely get some positive outcome from this program.

rohit
11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gabriel,
Your Welcome..
By the way I did find that cigarettes and all nicotine products caused me anxiety..Nicotine is a stimulant and the last thing I needed was to be more stimulanted. I used to wake up several times every night and though it was panic but sometimes it wasn't panic at all, it was my addiction to nicotine waking me up..I still do wake up sometimes at night except now I don't smoke instead I take a few deep breathes and go right back to sleep most of the time..I am much more relaxed now that I am nicotine free..It wasn't this way at first it was really hard but in time it got much better. There is a sister site to this one called The Stop Smoking Center..You can find a link to it on the top left hand corner of the forum page..or you can type in The Stop Smoking Center into goggle search and find it..There is also a excellent site called Whyquit.com that helped me a lot when I quit smoking and helped me to understand what I was going through both physically and emotionally. Of course I must include this is something that helped me and it may not help everyone..I am not a Doctor or Educator.  I am one of the members and am just sharing what has helped me on my own journey..Hope this info helps you in some way..
Good Luck with your journey..
Red...
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anything that changes the body chemistry mental or physical will cause anxiety by checking it out. Normally all you would feel is a bit off if it wasn't for the fear causing heightened senses. I used to say, "Oh your here again" when I would get that feeling. Recognizing it makes it go away faster.                                                  
There were no patches in my day. A lot of gum and candy.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you 
I have noticed that since using a nicotine patch, the first couple of hours I feel an attack comming on. Is this normal?
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Only seven days hey. Give yourself a break that isn't enough time so it is going to cause stress on top of everything else. How does your girl friend feel about carrying you for a while till you get this straight. It really helps to know you have a safe harbour to run too when it is tough. It helps to know that if you try and fail that it doesn't matter. So you can get a job and have an attack and it doesn't matter. This is the beginning of taking back control. It is also exposure without consequences. The last thing you need is to use guilt to add pressure on yourself. It seems that 1998 was Agoraphobia, which is a control thing and beatable.

We are here to support you in any way we can.

Davit. Used to smoke, used to panic, been there done that. Better now.
11 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gabriel,

Im sorry you are going through this right now. First of all, know you are not alone in this; we can help you through this. Secondly, know you CAN take control of this again. Set backs like these are common after big life changes like you have made. Take your time working on the program, continue to challenge yourself and it will pass.

How can you challenge your anxiety today?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gabriel:  You have more than one issue to deal with at one time.  This seems overwhelming, where do you start?  I have found the CBT program here very helpful.  Pls. use this program to help you.  You can do it on your own, post here as often as you wish, ask questions, we will support you through everything, good and bad.  We all started on Page 1.  it's like baby steps at first, but very important steps indeed. 
Personally I have found the relaxation techniques and breathing, as Red mentioned, two of the best coping tools to use when feeling anxious.  Even though I haven't had panic attacks for a few years now, I still use these exercises when I start to feel stressed out.  
The Cognitive Behaviour Program will help you identify your triggers.  It will teach you what's happening and why and how to move ahead.  I really hope you give it a good try, stick with it, practice the relaxation exercises every day.  At first you may not feel they are working, that's just because you are still at the learning stage.  You will find later that they will come automatically to you when needed.  It's like learning to drive a car.  Remember how tense you were at the wheel, watching every little thing in front.  After awhile you begin to relax while driving.  It takes practice.

Welcome to the forum!
Sunny
11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Gabriel,
Just wanted to reach out and say Welcome to the program and support group. We have all suffered from anxiety and panic here so you are not alone there. I quit smoking 8 months ago after a 43 year habit..and one of the things that I do that I learned here on this site is to stop, relax and take a deep breath and then let it out slowly. I do this when I am feeling the anxiety and panic or craving nicotine..It has become pretty much automatic now..and it does help calm me down most of the time..You might want to consider giving this a try and see if it helps..there's nothing to loose by trying..and the breathing will give you something positive to concentrate on...

Red
After a good 12 years of not having major Panic attacks, they have returned. I have moved to a new area for a fresh start. My girlfriend landed a new job. I quit my job. 
I had a major attack last week, and one last night. Because of these recent attacks, I am terrified to drive, to start a new job. All of the stresses that are a perfect storm for Panic attacks to return have been in my life for the past month.
I have lost my self confidence, being happy, doing things I normally like to do. Worst of all, I am terrified about getting a job. I do not want to have an attack while at a job. 
I have now reached a stage of helplessness. I have no health insurance do to no job. 
7 days ago, I stopped smoking. I was a 20 year smoker. This has seemed to make it worse. 
I do not want to reach the point of being terrified to leave my room. In 1998, I was at this stage. 
Please help :(

Reading this thread: