Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

my ..erm€¦pattern??

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jenn

Please don't take the Ativan. Valium which is of the same class is safer because it is easier to withdraw from besides the fact Ativan is not supposed to be used for more than a month. Ativan is the worst for building dependence. ( I know I'm not allowed to say that and it is only my opinion but having been an addict I thought it was worth the chance. It will probably be deleted)

GAD generalized anxiety disorder is a condition where anxiety comes out of the blue for no reason. There are a lot of therapists that don't accept this anymore. With a new understanding of the mind and how it works some of these Therapist believe there is a subconscious trigger. In really bad cases of PTSD the mind will not allow access to the memories yet they still affect the thinking. I believe GAD is like this. That there is a trigger hidden in the memory. I believe this because GAD is often consistent. Happening at the same time or during the same activity. The reason Ativan works is because it blocks the trigger but leaves it in place. If you have a traumatic period in your life that you can not remember and by that I mean a blank spot like a black room that would be where the trigger is to my thinking. 
In this case you would appear to be thinking of nothing. When in fact you would be looking for something that your mind won't let you find. So you get the symptoms but not the answer. But the two have to be related because if it was a panic attack you would get symptoms but no pain. A panic attack is fight or flight. The racing heart is preparation for this as it would do in a real situation. All the symptoms that go with it are related.

By relaxing you take the focus off the search that is causing the anxiety. 

One night during one of these so called GAD attacks I said quite out loud, enough go away. And surprised me when it did. 

Do you have a monitor, do you know for sure if your pulse is racing or your blood pressure is up. I have one and used to use it to see how low I could think it by concentration. Just another distraction technique that works.

I know some one else who has to stop in the middle of work and lie down till the chest pains go away. As far as I know she has accepted it as a fact of life and I don't know if she ever figured out what causes it. ( might have been me lol.) A pity she is not on here, she might have been able to help you.

Davit
10 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It seems to me that I am at my worst at night.

Usually starts like clockwork around 4 when I'm watching TV, knitting, making cookies, etc… thats what i don't understand…I'm not thinking about anything really.  My hands and mind are busy..

My chest feels tight and starts to squeeze, I yawn a lot, ill get a flash of hot or cold usually accompanied with dizziness, i can feel my heart flutter or start to beat quickly ( not a hard pounding but enough to notice it quicken).

At that time i will lie down and practice my breathing technique accompanied with my meditation music.  I will lie there for 10-15 minutes breathing.

It will calm down a bit but all night i have a squeezy feeling and feeling like I'm on the verge of an attack.  Usually, doesn't stop until i go to sleep.

Off to my family doctor today…hopefully he will help me this time instead of saying " here is some atavan".  

Reading this thread: