Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

So Much To Do So Little Time: Where Do I Sart?

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A short little cry is still the best way to break the worry cycle. Especially for men since we have to make sure no one sees us. 

An attempt at least puts it one step closer to a finish.

Get help or the big stuff. A lot of people feel good helping. 

Make it fun not work.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Let us know how it goes!

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
Yes that sounds practical.  It sounds like a coping card I was advised to use in the past.  Pulling that card out at the time is the important thing to do however, to make it work
It sounds like there is a lot on your mind hugs!

I can see how you would be feeling overwhelmed with all of those things tumbling around in your head.  It sounds like this is causing you stress.  Feel free to vent here, as you know, we are always here to listen. 

If you would like a top you could try writing your worries down and beside them write what you want to do about it and by when. For example, for the issue with your friend you could say "make a plan of how I can talk to her about this on November 10th." Then whenever you feel yourself worrying about it remind yourself that you will be addressing it on November 10th. You may find that for some of the items on your list there is nothing you can do about it. In that case write beside it "STOP WORRYING". If there is nothing you can do about an issue other then talking about it to a friend then really worrying about it will not solve anything. Once your list is created every time you feel overwhelmed pull out your worry list add to it, cross off items when they are no longer worry items and remind yourself to post pone worry where appropriate.  Do you think this might be helpful for you?

Members, what do you to manage your worry when you are feeling overwhelmed?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley,
I'm just getting through my list of things "to do" today.  Maybe I'm sad because a friend just put more distance between us, and I just realized that.  I'm not sure what it is.

I also just realized how much help I've needed, during a period of more time I've had recently.  As I read more posts, I realize that like others, I've needed that help, and sought it for so long.

That's distressing, and so is the season.  This is a season of commemorating lost family, and I might be sad about that.

I need to firm up some plans too.

Did you realize it's Christmas in two months
Hi Hugs,

Perfectionism can actually be quite debilitating especially when it prevents you from starting or finishing anything. You might find the session on managing worry helpful to you regarding feeling overwhelmed. Normally when overwhelmed it is best to break things down into chunks and tackle bits each day. What do you want to tackle today?

Ashley, Health Educator
Davit,
It's always good to know I'm not alone
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs.

All the time. I'm constantly surprised when I manage to get something done without constant stop and starts. Aim high and settle for what you get. But in our case I would say aim for lots of little doable projects and projects that can be used half done. Like gardening. A row of carrots rough weeded is better than a row not weeded. I love winter, it puts it all on hold till spring.

The biggest problem seems to be not wanting to start anything that may not get finished. Once I got past that it wasn't too bad. I've got things I'm nibbling away at years after starting. Still it is nice to finish something. Nice if you can share a project too. Chances of finishing it are better.
Perfectionism is a problem though. I find I spend far to much time on things for only a small amount of improvement. I am getting better though.

Davit.
I wonder if anyone there feels constantly overwhelmed, and how you start over following a big change a lack of structure in your days?  I just feel like all my ideas coming crashing on me at once, and I don't wish to miss anything.  Perfectionism and procrastination work to take away my time and energy, and I don't get anything done.

I'm trying to convince myself that life is like a spiderweb, and where ever I start, will have an impact on the other parts, positively.

Anybody out there have thoughts on this

Reading this thread: