Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Waiting.

14 years ago +1 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How are you doing anerol?

Any of the tips worked? 

Grim
14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
anerol,

What you have mentioned in your post is common and is something that other members here have experienced. People often have a security zone in which they no longer experience anxious thoughts or social fears. To help with these experiences, try reading through session 2 of the program. This section on 'Anxious Thoughts' will help guide you through these fears and what you can do to cope with these emotions.

Members, what has your experience been with feeling anxious in public? How do you deal with these anxious thoughts? Please share your ideas!

Sarah, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi anerol:  Welcome.  What I do is bring a book to read - although it is sometimes hard to concentrate, but it gives me something else to think about.  Or write a to-do list while waiting.  or say prayers (nobody knows).  Or look around and count the windows, the doors, the lights, anything.  A bit of distraction..what colour is that wall anyway?   Sometimes a little chat with someone else who is waiting, though you don't want to intrude on their time/thoughts.  play it by ear, see if they are agreeable. 

I think we feel safe/secure when we can come and go as we please.  We are in control then.   Waiting for someone (appt., bank line, etc.) is out of our control, so we feel uncomfortable.  Waiting for that appt., or line for something, has a reward at the end of it.  Think about this positive outcome.  Hope this helps a little.
14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I get the most anxious in public when I have to wait. I'm always eager to just escape and get things over with so I can go back to may 'secure zone'. Anybody have tips to ease this?

Reading this thread: