Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Back again.

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi Davit,
Those are very true words, and good ones!! Thanks a lot.

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi anerol

It is amazing how much negative thought we have in a day. A lot of it is second hand, passed on to us. Basically what works for me is challenging every negative thought and giving it a positive twist. 

Every time you have a panic attack and challenge it and win it makes the next easier. It lays a foundation and strengthens it so you are ready for the next one till you hit the point where all that happens is you say "not again" Believe me this will happen. Now that you have beat a couple treat the next like exposure. Welcome it with open arms and then destroy it. Flood it with so much positive thought that it just shrivels up. Oh and I still have bad days and recognize them for what they are and roll with them. They soon become the past and the past doesn't count. Never dwell on the past, it can't be changed. Think about it yes but do not dwell on it.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Davit, Nice to meet you and Thank you for your ear. What steps did you take to feel more up and going?

Hello AMJ, Nice to meet you. Thanks for your words, I'm so glad that you can understand where I come from and it is really nice to know that I'm not alone. How has your therapy worked for you? I'm am eager to find a new therapist (don't have one right now) but it's been such a long time since I talked to a "stranger" that I am a bit hesitant... and skeptical (from previous experiences).

Hello Sunny 123, Nice to meet you. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. I wouldn't know what to do if i were in your situation, I think you're so courageous... thanks for sharing your feelings because it really does help me to know that everyone has them too. Crying helps me too.

Hello Luciana nice to meet you. Thank you for the support, I always feel better when I write here!

I am feeling a lot better today. There was a lot of thunder the past few days and that scared me a lot and I guess I get really gloomy when the sun isn't out. I've also went to the library to borrow a few books on Anxiety and Panic and it has helped me get some ease. I find it really difficult to connect my physical symptoms to my mental state... and my catastrophic thinking, since I've done it so much, it's like automatic! I took the 'opportunity' of another attack to try using affirmations and 'realistic' thinking.. it's hard, but I do feel better a little better ( I can't clearly see why though). There is a side of me that is very doubtful and the other side is trying to shut the other up and just let it go and just do it. It's a constant battle with the two. Thanks for being here, all of you. 

14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you Luciana - crying does help, a great release of tension and stress.  I don't like telling people about difficulties because I don't want to sound like a whiner...but on the other hand, this is exactly what I would tell a friend to do, to share and discuss and get it out in the open.  So gotta take my own medicine.

Davit, thank you for saying you missed me.   I missed you too, but didn't want to say it in case it was inappropriate. This is a perfect example of how we miss out on the good things in life because we fear making a mistake. You know one of my favourite sayings is "Our doubts are traitors which make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt".  I've forgotten who wrote that, but I found it in highschool days.  I always look forward to reading your posts.  I am so glad you are feeling well and happy.  It doesn't bother me at all for you to write about it!  Makes me happy actually.  I don't feel that depressed that I can't enjoy someone's successes.  Bravo to you and others.  I just feel lethargic and don't feel like getting involved in anything right now.  One night I was trying to relax and visualize (because of the chest pains) and trying to think of a place which I found enjoyable, relaxing.  I couldn't think of any.  So I tried to fantasize a place which I would really enjoy.  I couldn't even do that.  I found it hard to concentrate.  I couldn't even read a book. This would be a good time to have a little sunshine holiday, but I can't afford it.  I just love it when in the movies people can just take off whenever they wish on a holiday cruise or visit Europe somewhere. Watching travel programs is always fun.  I lived in Europe for awhile as a child, England, Germany and France.  My Dad was in the Air Force and I think my fondest memories of family life are when we lived there.  Well, there you are.  This cheers me up some and might even look up the old photo albums. thanks for listening.
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Sunny and welcome back once again!

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. This must be a very difficult time for you, so make sure you take the time to grieve. It's normal to feel the way you are feeling, and crying can be a good way to let those feelings out.

And good for you for continuing to take care of yourself and go on walks even if it's just every couple of days. It's important to keep moving forward even when it seems hard.  Remember, you can always come back here and vent if you need to, there is always someone ready to listen.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
sunny

Hi. Its Davit and I have missed you. I didn't recognize your post. I am so sorry to hear about your friends. Even if you know it is going to happen it still hurts. I'm of an age where I'm starting to lose people I know, so far not real close friends. Take the time to grieve and heal and come back to us. I am doing so well I'm just bursting to tell someone who would understand. I've had setbacks, one self induced but over all I'm progressing nicely. Enough of this. Me being bubbly will just make you worse. I too wish we could do a group session. So much strength in one room.
My therapist is trying to arrange a group session but so far I'm the only one not scared to try it. I know it would help.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Anerol and welcome back to the site!

It seems that you have gone through a lot (especially with the divorce), I admire you for coming back on here and reaching out for help. There is always someone on here who will lend a listening ear.

I encourage you to look through the program again and maybe try doing the supportive tests again. See if any new information comes up that you can share with your doctor. Also take a look through the Panic Program, set some goals for yourself and work at a pace that is comfortable for you. You mentioned that you find it hard to keep up with the site. Setting reachable goals may help you stay motivated.

Come back often and let us know how you are doing.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning everyone:  I've been on this site before but stopped for awhile during the holiday season.  I want to share my latest news.  My friend who had lung cancer died in late October.  I had helped her with driving to and from radiation, chemo appts. etc.  I would call her every morning to see how she was doing.  I'm still grieving I think and that's o.k.  Now, just about three wks. ago another close friend died, quite suddenly, in the middle of the night.  She was someone who really looked after herself.  She walked every day, ate healthily, etc.  It was a shock!  Now I can recognize I'm feeling a bit depressed.  I don't feel like doing anything, certainly not going out to walk in this cold weather especially if it is windy as it affects my breathing, asthma.  Anyway, I do walk but only a couple of blocks, not every day, every three days or so.  I don't seem to have interest in anything right now, though I still do things.  I don't really care.  I know this is the grieving and depression and hoping it won't last too long.   I didn't want to share this, but realize this is exactly what needs to be shared with others.  I wish I could see you face-to-face and have a group discussion.  I haven't had any panic attacks, but the stress has brought acid reflux back sometimes and sleepless nights - and the crappy chest pains, which I hate the most.  I still take care of myself and eat well enough, it's just that I feel a bit like a zombie I guess.  Still doing my volunteer stuff  - and I just started crying now which is probably good for me as I don't cry easily - you know, stiff upper lip and all that. So bye for now.
14 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Anerol,

You are not alone, please feel free to write anytime. I too get those same feelings. I feel overwhelmed and emotionally drained alot of the time. It has been so hard for me to even try to make this right for myself. Start small and if small is too big start smaller. I didn't beleive it at first but alot of it REALLY is negative talk to yourself. I know that it's easier said than done but I got to a point where I couldn't even go outside to check the mail. I have been in therapy for about 2 months now and somedays I still can't even get out of bed but more and more I am willing myself to do something, anything to ease those negative thoughts and move forward. Take hot showers, read, cut out pics of places you'd like to visit, make small meals, anything that can keep your mind focused on something that is positive and that you enjoy. Those are small steps to feeling happy again and if you feel down somedays than fine. I listened when everyone told me to give myself a break and it's okay for to feel down. I am not cured and no expert but I find that being on this site, a therapist and acknowledging and owning my feelings and emotions is key to my recovery.
anerol

Welcome back. My name is Davit and I'm a good listener so when you get in the dumps, dump on me. I am doing well now so I have room to share someone elses anxiety.

Davit.

Reading this thread: