Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

My molar chipped.

10 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I found this discussion  and it was almost three years ago. Can't believe I did it. Wow. 
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not "afraid" of the dentist or his hygienist.  It's the painful grinding,chipping,scraping I feel which is painful and the warning about my tongue having a will of its own.  Massage has calmed me, as I mentioned before, and I'm looking forward to my next cleaning, only because it's preceded by a massage.

But then the massage lady was a bit odd,since she kept talking about her adopted cats, fear of "big brother" and mainstream medicine...nothings perfect is it?
12 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
First off, I love the flower on your profile. Very beautiful.

I have a huge fear of dentists too. My mother takes atavan every time she has to go! I learned the fear through her.

My niece though, takes the cake. She really has her own way of dealing with it and I love it. This is her method: no talking, not even the dentist or hygienists, she must wear those bed time eye masks and she has her iPod on the whole time, loud. And the dentist goes along with it. I love it. I love that she was strong enough to demand that all. She suffers from stress induced seizures so she has to remain calm or end up in an ambulance. She seizes when blood is drawn etc.

I will also have to go to the dentist soon too. I have chipped my back molar as well since I clench my teeth all night. So I am with you.

I kind of wish I could just do a walk in when I get the courage. I will end up making a family appointment I think.

I hope it all works out for you. I am with you in spirit.

Sunflower Painter
12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. 
Well, I've calmed myself after a few days because it was only a little piece of my teeth. I've been brushing every time now, after I eat. I've made a plan... we'll see how well I follow through with it. The plan would be for me to see a doctor first who would give me some anti-anxiety  meds and see a therapist who can help me through with it so I can get myself to see a dentist. But we'll see how I'll get to conquer the fears of seeing a doctor and a therapist. 
12 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Anerol,

What do you want to do about this?

If your anxiety is what is holding you back then what do you have to do in order to overcome?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
anerol

Your teeth are very important and you know it or it wouldn't be bothering you. So you have to get this fixed.
What would I do in your place? At one time the same as you, which is why I have false teeth now. What would I do now? I would get a friend to go with me and I would use enough valium to get through the experience and after I would not beat myself up for having to do that. I would look at the good side which is that the meds allowed me to see that this normal procedure which should only cause normal anxiety did not kill me and next time maybe I can do it without meds. (which I can now, dentists don't bother me anymore) (too late for my teeth though)

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol,
I didn't know I had "dentist" anxiety, but who, in their right mind, would want to?  I tried getting a massage before the appointment, and it went so much better!

What ever would relax you, would be a good idea.

I also have bruxism, which means I grind my teeth alll the time.  I've had people at work tell me so, but I've noticed some others have it too.

You're not alone
12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm so angry and frustrated. My molar chipped and now I'm worried about my teeth. It has been over 3 years since I last saw a dentist and I think it is impossible for me to ever go to one. I don't even want to think about it but I'm worried about what will eventually happen to my teeth. There's information on the internet on how to deal with dentist anxiety, which is what I don't have, I have agoraphobia. I am afraid to go anywhere. It just gets so frustrating. My molar just simply chipped.. I was even eating something soft and I'm guessing it's from all the tension I put in my jaw from anxiety. Anxiety is what caused it and anxiety is what prevents me from getting it fixed. I wish it would all just go away. 

Reading this thread: