Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,487 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd

A better 2015 (hopefully)

9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beautiful Cara!

You deserve to have control of your anxiety. I am so glad to read all the support resources at your disposal. How did the first group session go?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Ashley.

I've been waiting for the anxiety group therapy for 2 years at the hospital where I work and I finally got called to start the session, I'm excited. I"m very determined to have a panic free in 2015. I'm still in CBT therapy individual with my therapist, who is great and finally explaining things to me.  2 years ago I never thought I would have normal days and now I am. These normal days are what I hold on to when I have anxiety.....

I'm hoping to get my life back this year...without meds ofcourse. Its hard work but I have a geat support system. My husband has been great with my panic, so I'm very lucky.
9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cara,

Overcoming patterns in our thinking can take a lot of time and practice. At first, it is normal to feel like it "just isn't right". But you will get there! I think you WILL see a lot of improvement in 2015. I am looking forward to reading about it.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cara

It does work. There are more pathways in the brain than there are stars. We can only use a few at a time. These become priority pathways. The drug Ativan works by shutting down the ones that are active and creating it's own pathway. CBT can do the same without the same side effects. Priority pathways are built by repetition and similarity.  Right now because of this any trigger can open a pathway into panic memory. When you carry the apple in your hand (accept and recognize the anxiety) you open a pathway that leads to panic memory. But it also leads to many other similar memories. Your mind picks out the one most often used as the one you want. If you think "NO" it picks another. During a panic attack your mind locks and you are stuck with the panic thought. So you don't want to wait this long. You want to think no and then think positives before it can lock. You want to do this before the pathway locks. While you still have choices. The reason you accept anxiety is so you can attach positive thoughts to this anxiety trigger so you have choices. So you will have the normal panic pathway but also many no panic pathways to choose from. Some might lead back to panic  but more likely because they are weak only to anxiety. When you say no your mind chooses the next and if that is a calm positive the trigger is inactivated because that positive recycles back to it. It also recycles back to memory for future use and up dates memory and the pathways. Like back spacing here and making corrections. Like the words on a hard drive, they are still there but there is no code to access them. The brain stores a lot of information most of which we don't access because we have no need to. Unless some trauma gives us what amounts to as an access code. Core beliefs are our access codes. Knowing your triggers, can change the core beliefs and access to the negatives in the form of panic paths becomes harder to access. But this works also for negatives so you can see why you have to recognize them so you can think positive every time one appears. Leaving them alone allows them to influence. Leaving them alone allows them to reinforce the panic pathway by not allowing choices. 
Normally all this happens without conscious thought and in the future choosing the positive pathway will happen with out conscious thought. Set backs if any will just be something you did, not do. And you will be 95% which means stacked against the positives the negative doesn't have a chance. Even at 80% all it causes is a bit of sweating and anxiety till you can say no and chase it away.

I'm very pleased with your determination because it is a factor. I really feel you can do this. It is a rather simple process but even simple processes take work and repetition to last. Once priority pathways are established they stay till you ask them to change, for better or worse. Unfortunately too many people choose worse. I'm looking forward to hearing in the future that positive thought is working for you. I'd like to hear it from anyone that is doing it. Lets make 2015 a good year.

Davit. 
Hi Davit,

Thank you again for your wisdom. If I can get to 95% I would have a great 2015.

I am trying to take that apple and hold it in my hand and not pay attention to it. It's a bad apple. Like Snow White who will try not to take a bite from it again. But at times it's hard. Your right repetition and reinforcement works. Re training your brain on how to react to triggers.... It's very hard but I'm determined to get there.
Hello Cara.

Sugar and caffeine. The brain uses the bi products of sugar to work but it needs very little. There is enough in food. Too little in your blood and your brain goes to sleep, too much and it can't function right and you make mistakes A very high blood sugar and these mistakes can put you into a coma. So diabetics have to balance their sugar. Most people get a sugar spike then a drop as the insulin tries to compensate. It shows itself as anxiety first as the brain is more active and then confusion as it slows down. It is worse with caffeine. There are guards on the nerves leading to and from the brain called neurotransmitters. They are chemical and they decide if information can travel to or from the brain. Caffeine affects the ones that allow information to travel. If you don't have a tendency to over think caffeine will increase your ability to problem solve and keep you awake. If you over think this is bad, Caffeine allows the guards to open and sugar feeds the over activity. Sugar in the form of glycogens formed in the liver feeds the muscles too so some people twitch or get restless leg syndrome. Most people think it is normal and ignore it. 
Once you know the dragon is there he is impossible to ignore. So what you do is talk to him. (her) (it) Acknowledge the dragon. Say I see you are here again and walk away. It is like the apple. Pick it up and say "yep this is an apple" and put it back. If you know there is an apple in the basket you don't have to check for it, you know it is there. You can actually visualize this. You could carry it around in your hand and do other things with the other hand. It isn't really an apple but just a thought and it will go back to the basket on it's own if you treat it as being there but not as important as the other things you are doing. If you ignore it, it will try to get your attention. Exposure is basically this, putting your hand in the basket and taking out the apple, not just seeing if it is still there. You know it is there and always will be now. What you want to do is learn how to ignore it and you do this by wearing out it's presence. Sort of having the novelty wear off. It will still be there it just won't mean anything.

Positive thought is just keeping the hand without the apple so busy the one with the apple doesn't get used. Positive thought will bury negative but you have to accept the negative otherwise what are you burying. 

One spoon of sugar in one tsp of tea would be very noticeable, but one spoon in a mug of tea would be acceptable. 
Positive and negative thought is just like that. This is just a start but repetition reduces the negative tendency till it goes away. (it doesn't go away, it just isn't important any more) 
I hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask if something doesn't make sense.
80% negative free is considered good, we want better than that. 

Davit
Thanks Davit.  I figure what I'm doing wrong is unleashing these dragons myself. 

For example:  my anxiety is the apple in the bucket, I try very hard to bring this apple at the bottom of the bucket so that I don't see it anymore. But at times I will put my hand back in and look for the apple to bring it to surface again?

I know I can bury this anxiety but it's always in my head now.... Negative thinking makes me worse. Thibking like, " you can't lead a normal life, remember you have anxiety?"... I can't cope with this anymore.... Am I not okay"????? 

Knowing my triggers help, therefore I can chagr my thoughts. Also, caffeine and sugar gets me with even just one bite... Why is that? It always give me panic attacks?
Cara

Shari referred to her anxiety as dragons and gave them colours. She visualized them as chained up so that although they were still there they could not get to her. This is just one way of accepting anxiety without letting it get to you. Others have similar ways of doing this. Including me. 

One thing I would like you to do besides think positive is to be a bit more assertive. As in I will have a better 2015. You have to believe in yourself. I believe in you. Just be you, be happy with you and believe in you. Do this with positive thinking and one day you will notice the anxiety is gone. 

(anyone can look at a fierce dragon if it is chained)

Davit.
I have been seeing a therapist for CBT and learnt so many things about this condition. I've learrnt that my negative thinking makes me worse, now I try to change these thoughts to positive as soon as I know me doing this.  I have been trying to be better than everyone else around me hence the pressure I gave myself.  I also look for the anxiety when it's not there ? I cant seem to shut these and anxiety and panic in to dungeon in my head, it's like theirs always peaking their head? 

Stuff I need to change... Hopefully I can have a better 2015! 

Reading this thread: